Thursday, February 23, 2006

Don't know my arse from my elbow

In a second pregnancy, you always “pop out” earlier than in your first. With twins, you tend to burst out, rather than pop. When I was around four months pregnant, I noticed that I could feel twin one’s head and spine. R and I marvelled at this. As I grew, I started to show friends and interested parties where the body bits were. They would touch the little vertebrae through my belly and marvel – isn’t Mother Nature wonderful? Isn’t life a miracle?

Soon after I gave birth I felt my belly, saddened that I would miss the familiar feeling of that little head and spine, poking into my ribs. To my astonishment, I felt it. Still there. . Fearing there may be a triplet they’d left inside of me I asked my doctor “What’s this – this hard bit here?”. “That’s your bowel” he explained, “It’s distended and full of gas so it feels really hard”.

For the best part of nine months people have been feeling my bowel and cooing at it.

Isn’t Mother Nature wonderful?

6 Comments:

Blogger Urban Chick said...

i remember feeling flutterings in the weeks after the birth and i too convinced myself that they had forgotten to take out a missed triplet

to think it was just the grumble of my bowels...

lovely

11:18 pm  
Blogger Estelle said...

funny.

3:11 am  
Blogger Lin said...

Just snorted and spat porridge (made all stainie with blueberries) on keyboard. TOO FUNNY>!>!>!>! Off to clean...

3:56 am  
Blogger Katy Newton said...

Oh.

Hmm.

Well, on the plus side, at least it turns out that you won't have to be sad about missing that special feeling.

My friend used to make me feel her stomach on a regular basis whilst she was pregnant. I wonder what organ I was unknowingly palpating.

9:52 am  
Blogger Calliope said...

bwah ha ha!

3:57 pm  
Blogger surly girl said...

welcome back, yc.

as for people feeling your bowel, well, it could have been worse.

i can't for the life of me think how it could have been worse. it just could, alright?

11:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home