Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Moments like these...

And then I find myself in the children’s hospital again, all neon lights and bossy nurses. Little O has the anaesthetic mask on and is screaming, her eyes fixed on mine. Slowly, slowly, she relents to the drug. Her eyes haze over then close. This time it’s an MRI to check the progress of her spine. It’s over relatively quickly and we’re in recovery. Am half expecting shouts of “Norm” (from Cheers) from the recovery nurses who all recognise us. O is angry. Like me, she’s had enough of this hospital caper. She’s older now and can understand it slightly better and she wants out. And this time, she gets her way.

Three hours later we’re in the sunshine. And a visit to O’s neurosurgeon last week to discuss the scan. He has good news. The spinal cord hasn’t re-tethered. As long as she has regular checks with the neurologist he only needs to see her when she starts school. And suddenly we’re there. That point I was dreaming of when she was having monthly surgery. She’s okay. She’s more than ok. She’s bloody marvellous. And she hasn’t progressed from standing to walking but she’s learning each day.

So the twins may be driving me insane and I may have no life of my own but for this one moment it’s all peaceful and manageable. More than manageable actually. Bloody great.

9 Comments:

Blogger Van Dino said...

Oh I'm so happy for you! What wonderful news!

8:30 pm  
Blogger frangelita said...

I'm glad there's light at the end of the tunnel on that front at least. GIve her a big hug from me. And keep one for yourself:-)

11:15 pm  
Blogger surly girl said...

hurray!! hurray for good news!

cheered me right up. i needed that.

4:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great news.

10:02 pm  
Blogger Lin said...

I can think of no better news. Brava tiny girl!!!!

10:21 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! There is nothing like good news when it comes to the children! Go O!

1:04 pm  
Blogger LJ said...

That one made me a little teary. Such fine, fine news, YC.

2:54 am  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

aw, that made my day to hear that!!1
Yay :-)

8:19 am  
Blogger sbs said...

go go little o

8:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home