Monday, April 10, 2006

It really does go on

And now, life. O had an appointment with the neurologist today. She's still not walking or crawling like all the other 15 month olds around her. But she's discovering clever little shortcuts to movement, like bum shuffling. The neurologist said she'll go at her own pace and do things in her own way. Think of it as individualistic, she said. I like that.

And later today I put O to bed and heard her shouting for me. Not unusual. I went back into the room and she was STANDING. Leaning on the cot. Standing! In a dangerous way that meant she could have fallen out. And while I should have done the responsible thing and warned O of the horrors of leaning over the cot, I screamed with delight. So loud I frightened O and she plotzed onto her bum immediately. But she was standing! STANDING! On her legs! Without her splints! By herself!

One huge point for O and and a minus zero to those who said she'd never walk.

You watch her, she won't just walk. She'll fly.

11 Comments:

Blogger Louise said...

of course she will!
So glad for your good news today. The problem with grief is that there simply are no words to make it better. But occasionally life turns around and does something that makes everything feel a little less horrible, if only for a while. This is great news about O, and you definitely deserve some good news these days.

10:24 pm  
Blogger Urban Chick said...

wahey! wonderful news...


UC

1:09 am  
Blogger frangelita said...

O sounds like a little angel. Bum-shuffling sounds cool.

5:24 am  
Blogger Lin said...

Excellent news...and if I haven't told you this short story before I'll bore you with it now...in just a few words. A dear friend of mine had a wee little girl (now 5'10" tall) who at 18 mos still wasn't walking. This was 35 years ago and while she was tested for this and that, no positive diagnosis other than spinal weakness? was reported. This same little girl didn't walk until past her second birthday. She started slowly and just got faster and faster, winning a track scholarship to the Univ. of Wisconsin and ranking nationally. Now she's too old to race, so she just runs marathons.

Brava! Baby O!!!

A perfect time for you to feel the surge of pure joy.

11:14 am  
Blogger LJ said...

Damn right!
She's her mother's daughter - she's not going to sit down for anything.

3:54 am  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

aw, this brought a tear to my eye! I haven't been by for awhile and am so happy to hear that O is doing well.

4:57 am  
Blogger Katy Newton said...

See? Doctors know nothing. Mazeltov.

12:32 pm  
Blogger OvaGirl said...

Yay O!

5:05 pm  
Blogger Calliope said...

right on, O!
Way to show 'em!

9:43 am  
Blogger surly girl said...

hurray! hurray for baby o and two fingers (or maybe just the one) for anyone who thinks that little girl will do anything but reach her full potential.

11:31 pm  
Blogger Stacey said...

Wow. Yasher Koach to O. What fabulous news. I had missed your blog. New baby's keeping me off the internet a bit....your posts make me feel like I shouldn't complain about 1 baby though ;). I am so proud of O! You go girl!

1:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home