Monday, October 31, 2005

Felix, Come Home and Have your Lobotomy

The first thing you learn in screenwriting 101 is that each scene should contain conflict. It can be external (eg: with another person, a force of nature, George Bush) or internal - with your inner demons (who look suprisingly like George Bush). A traditional story should follow a hero trying to attain a goal while hurdles are placed in his way. As a fledgling writerlet I remember thinking it would be difficult to find enough conflict and hurdles to fill an entire screenplay. That was before I had to deal with doctors on a daily basis.

Baby O was admitted to hospital today to prep for her spinal surgery tomorrow. After a lot of prodding and poking, the resident (an unqualified medical student who recently lost his milk teeth) pronounced her unfit to operate on. Her temperature was high, so he wasn't taking any chances. He sent us home and promised to call within the hour with an alternative surgery date. That was six hours ago.

You may see a news story about a crazed pregnant mother who goes on a crime rampage against doctors. If a policeman calls asking if you had prior knowledge of the crime, you can tell him that you know the woman well.

Her name is Felix Yeomans and she deserves to fry.

7 Comments:

Blogger Calliope said...

What the F???
That suuuuuuuuuuuucks.
Hope the call with the update happens soon.
ugh!

2:43 am  
Blogger LJ said...

I can't BELIEVE this!

3:21 am  
Blogger Lin said...

Well, I feel your frustration so keenly I'm more than willing, in fact I'm ramped up enough, to go on that effing crime spree with you. You poor things. I truly can't imagine the depth of your tightness just now.

4:35 am  
Blogger Urban Chick said...

oh gawd, that is the worst

psyching yourself up for the surgery and then this - i remember it well...

in our case, we moved hastily into (atypical for us) pushy parent mode and called the top guy direct and boom! we had another date verrrrry quickly - that was just before i hit 'send' on the email i had composed to my member of parliament (a lucky escape for him)

hope you get one soon too

UC
x

6:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm new here. If I have a nervous breakdown now when my life is so pathetically easy compared to yours...

Well. I shall be very cross with myself.

You can write, too.

4:49 am  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Oh dear, this is bad news. My only suggestion, based on my recent terrible interactions with the Canadian medical system is to be pushy, be VERY pushy and don't let them forget you.
best wishes,
Laura

9:07 am  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

BTW, thank god you've got that convenienet alter - ego thing going on. You can use your Felix Yeomans notepaper to send murder threats.

9:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home